Wednesday, October 8, 2008

TERRIBLE 2's.

So I know sometimes I exaggerate, but this time I'm not. We have felt really lucky till the last couple of weeks with Garret. He was a very well behaved baby even through his crappy circumstances. He has an awesome personality. He didn't throw bad tantrums, the ones he did have were minor compared to ones I've seen from other kids. We've felt very blessed that he hadn't done anything extremely horrible in his short life. That is until about a month or so ago. He started stripping his pants off, luckily only his pants, at random times. He mostly did this while watching T.V. or after waking up or before going to sleep. Ok, so that I could handle, but starting a couple of weeks ago he started taking off his diapers as well. This annoyed me. One because he was just stripping it off, not undoing the tabs. And two, it wouldn't bother me as much if he were wanting to use the potty and I wasn't fast enough to help him or something.
Ok, but that isn't the worst of it. So along with the diaper taking off he has started throwing bad tantrums that last for like 30 min or longer, depending on the issue or if he gets distracted by someone outside the family. A few days ago he had pooped his diaper and in the morning he had taken he pants and dirty diaper off, and peed on the floor. That made me mad. Ok, so yesterday, he threw 2 bad tantrums because he didn't want to change out of his pjs at 1 pm. Whatever. So the today happened. He had a bit of a rough morning, waking everyone up at 7, then didn't play very nice with the girl that I babysit. After she left I laid him down for his nap. He went happily and talked for about 20 min or so. Then he was quite for about 40 min so I thought he was asleep. I decided to check on him when I heard a noise from his room, and found something I thought I would never see from him. All his blankets and everything was out of his bed, as well as his pants and dirty diaper. That is not the worst of it, he had his poo all over his sheet, and hands and legs and on part of his forehead. I think I have a pretty good stomach when it comes to throw up and blood and stuff, I mean I can watch the needles go in my arm when they draw blood and not get queezy, but this was almost too much. I can handle myself when changing his diapers, but when its is all over him, I mean seriously. I know other people have gone through this, and even worse, and more often, but really it doesn't match his personality. He hates it when anything gets on his hands, so him voluntarily grabbing the stuff is really gross and weird.
So this wasn't the end of the afternoon. He got a bath while I put his bedding and clothes in the wash. Brent came home during his bath so at least I had his help. I put a new sheet on his bed, it was only 4 so he had some time to sleep still. He sat in time out to think about what he did. He doesn't respond to discipline very well anymore, so he started a tantrum. When that was over he finally laid down and we thought he was going to sleep. We didn't hear him for a little bit, so I went to check on him, he was still awake. About 15 min later he was talking again, so I went in and he was pant and diaper less laying face down on his bed in a puddle of pee. So he got in trouble again. I just hope he doesn't do anything else like this. I don't know why he is doing this, I know a lot of other kids do stuff like this, but I really didn't think he would.
So if any of you have suggestions please let me know. I have heard of keeping the diaper on with duct tape, but I really didn't want to go that far. Anyway, so we hope everyone is doing well. Sorry to tell you all about it, but this is a way of venting, helps me to not be so mad at him.
Welcome to the Terrible two's.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're scaring me to have a boy :) Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kids

What an ordeal!!!.I wish I had an easy answer. I guess he is just curious. Find a book at the library on two year olds or take him to the Doctor and tell them what is going on. I guess I would leave the door open during naps and check on him frequently and just resecure his diaper. Don't make a big deal of it, just say you need to leave your diaper on.
We will work on hooking up the computer thing on Sunday. I teach
Sunday so when that is over it will be my number 1 priority. Hope others are well. XOXO Mom & G'Ma